Your property is a huge investment, so it makes sense that you want to entrust its upkeep to the right property maintenance contractors. Choose the wrong people for the job and you could be left with botched work to correct, a big hole in your budget and a dangerous building on your hands. So, how do you find the best property maintenance company to take care of your precious assets? With issues like health and safety, cost, reliability and quality to take into consideration, there’s a lot you have to factor into your decision.
Here are a few important questions to ask when deciding who you want to take on the responsibility of looking after your building.
- What services do they offer? Check out their website and take a really good look at the range of services they offer. If you’re after a company who provide all round maintenance and repair, do they cover all bases? If you’re after more specialised services, can they deliver to the standard you need?
- Are they accredited? You need to know whether the contractors you choose can deliver a high standard of work. Look for firms that train their staff well, take pride in gaining professional trade association accreditation and demonstrate their commitment to maintaining quality standards and compliance with statutory requirements.
- Are they listed on check schemes and online review sites? Schemes like Checkatrade can be a good indicator of whether a firm is trustworthy and can be expected to deliver a quality service. Also, try bit of crafty Googling to find as many customer reviews you can.
- Do they have an in-house team? A property maintenance company with in-house expertise may be a better option than one where you find the work is being outsourced to others.
- How responsive are they? Every property manager knows that a serious building emergency (like a water leak) requires a fast response, day or night. Pay attention to whether they offer a 24/7 service, what areas they cover and what kind of contact or helpdesk facilities they provide.
- What’s their professional reputation? In a competitive sector, it’s a pretty good bet that a firm that has stood the test of time must be doing something right, so find out how many years the company has been around. If they’re local or you know other firms who have worked with them, ask around – word of mouth is usually a fairly good indicator of a company’s overall standard of work and commitment to customer service.
It really does pay to do your homework before you decide which property maintenance company to work with. A bit of cautious research could save you time, hassle and money by ensuring you get the right people for the job.
The property maintenance company you can trust
At Groom Property Maintenance, we’ve got 30 years’ experience in delivering a wide range of services to customers from West Wales and the West Country to London and the home counties. To find out more about our property maintenance services, just contact the Groom Property helpdesk for more information.